Wednesday, May 30

The court is set to deliver judgement over N1.64 billion alleged fraud case against ex- Governor Jolly Nyame

The former governor Nyame knows fate on Wednesday, May 30, as court gives judgement over alleged fraud
N1.64bn case


The court is set to deliver
judgement over N1.64 billion
alleged fraud case against former Governor Jolly Nyame

The EFCC's counsel, Rotimi Jacobs
(SAN), says 14 relevant witnesses
were called by the agency to prove
its case beyond reasonable doubt
Nyame’s counsel, Olalekan Ojo,

believes that the confessional
statement which the EFCC relies on
is marred by inconsistency

A high court in Gudu, the Federal
Capital Territory, will deliver judgment in the case of alleged misappropriation of N1.64 billion funds filed against the former
governor of Taraba state, Rev Jolly
Nyame.

According to Daily Trust reports, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had charged Nyame on June 22, 2010 on a 21-count charge bordering on misappropriation of funds to the tune of N1.64 billion
while in office.

After the adoption of final written
addresses on February 28, Justice
Adebukola Banjoko prospone the
matter to May 30 for judgment.

The report said Nyame’s counsel,
Olalekan Ojo, had earlier told the
court that the confessional statement
which the EFCC relied upon was
marred by inconsistency.

He thus urged the court to
discountenance it.
According to olalekan, no witness in the course of the protracted trial testified or brought out any evidence to prove that Nyame diverted any funds as governor of Taraba state.

The counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi
Jacobs (SAN), revealed that the
prosecution called fourteen relevant
witnesses to prove its case beyond
reasonable doubt.

He added that Nyame’s statement
reproduced as evidence supported the
prosecution in the case.

Source: Naij

No comments: